Location Arts Research Centre, Room G1
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7882 5743
I completed my medical studies at the Medical School of Athens and undertook postgraduate studies at the University of Bolton (PhD) and the University of Glasgow (Wellcome Trust PhD Programme “Molecular Functions in Disease”). Before joining the QMUL History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group, I worked as a Research Associate at the UCL School of Pharmacy.
I currently serve as a Research Assistant to Professor Tilli Tansey OBE at the History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group, and get involved in the Group’s editorial work on the Wellcome Trust-funded Witness Seminar transcript series entitled “Wellcome Witnesses to Contemporary Medicine”. My current research at QMUL focuses on the coincidental factors that shape pharmaceutical innovation. My research interests fall within the following scientific fields:
- Experimental Medicine
- History of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Medical Education
For a full list of my PubMed-indexed articles, click here. A list of ten selected publications is provided below:
- Kalafatakis K, Russell GM, Zarros A, Lightman SL. Temporal control of glucocorticoid neurodynamics and its relevance for brain homeostasis, neuropathology and glucocorticoid-based therapeutics. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 2016; 61: 12-25.
- Koromilas C, Liapi C, Zarros A, Tsela S, Zissis KM, Kalafatakis K, Skandali N, Voumvourakis K, Carageorgiou H, Tsakiris S. Inhibition of Na+,K+-ATPase in the hypothalamus, pons and cerebellum of the offspring rat due to experimentally-induced maternal hypothyroidism. Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine 2015; 28(12): 1438-1444.
- Zarros A. Prerequisites for a reliable introduction of in vitro neurotoxicity testing within the REACH framework. NeuroToxicology 2014; 44: 365.
- Zarros A. A short commentary on Aristotle’s scientific legacy and his definition of the physiologist. Acta Physiologica Hungarica 2014; 101(2): 259-261.
- Zarros A, Liapi C, Al-Humadi H, Almpani M, Stolakis V, Skandali N, Voumvourakis K, Katsouni E, Tsakiris S. Experimentally-induced Wernicke’s encephalopathy modifies crucial rat brain parameters: the importance of Na+,K+-ATPase and a potentially neuroprotective role for antioxidant supplementation. Metabolic Brain Disease 2013; 28(3): 387-396.
- Zarros A, Kalopita K, Tsakiris S, Baillie GS. Can acetylcholinesterase activity be considered as a reliable biomarker for the assessment of cadmium-induced neurotoxicity? Food and Chemical Toxicology 2013; 56: 406-410.
- Bimpis A, Papalois A, Tsakiris S, Zarros A, Kalafatakis K, Botis J, Stolakis V, Zissis KM, Liapi C. Activation of acetylcholinesterase after U-74389G administration in a porcine model of intracerebral hemorrhage. Metabolic Brain Disease 2012; 27(2): 221-225.
- Zarros A, Liapi C, Galanopoulou P, Marinou K, Mellios Z, Skandali N, Al-Humadi H, Anifantaki F, Gkrouzman E, Tsakiris S. Effects of adult-onset streptozotocin-induced diabetes on the rat brain antioxidant status and the activities of acetylcholinesterase, (Na+,K+)- and Mg2+-ATPase: modulation by L-cysteine. Metabolic Brain Disease 2009; 24(2): 337-348.
- Koutroulis I, Zarros A, Theocharis S. The role of matrix metalloproteinases in the pathophysiology and progression of human nervous system malignancies: a chance for the development of targeted therapeutic approaches? Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets 2008; 12(12): 1577-1586.
- Carageorgiou H, Zarros A, Tsakiris S. Selegiline long-term effects on brain acetylcholinesterase, (Na+,K+)-ATPase activities, antioxidant status and learning performance of aged rats. Pharmacological Research 2003; 48(3): 245-251.
Membership of professional associations or societies
- Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society
- Life Member, Aristotelian Society
- Member (MAPS), Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Member (MRSB), Royal Society of Biology
- Member, British Pharmacological Society
- Member, In Vitro Toxicology Society
- Editor, Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine
- Guest Associate Editor, Frontiers in Pharmacology
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Clinical Anesthesiology
- Member of the Editorial Board (Pathology section), Dataset Papers in Science
- Member of the International Editorial Board, International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Archives of Clinical and Experimental Surgery