Senior Lecturer in Modern British History
Location Arts Two 2.10
I came to teach British history at Queen Mary in 2001, after a doctorate in Victorian civic pride at the University of Cambridge and an Exchange Fellowship at the University of Chicago.
I have combined my time at QMUL with work on TV programmes, radio series, journalism and book publications. I am currently the MP for Stoke on Trent Central.
I am an intellectual and cultural historian, with a particular focus on the urban past. My initial work looked at the ideological development of Victorian civic pride – and its aesthetic and architectural representation.
A focus on the history of Manchester led me to my next major project, a life of Friedrich Engels and his place within 19th century British thought. I continue to research the history of Marxism whilst pursuing new studies in the field of colonial cities. My latest book explores the history of the British Empire through its manifestation in the urban form, across both colonies and Great Britain.
- 19th century Marxism
- Victorian civic pride
- Ideology of Empire and its urban manifestation
- The Frock-Coated Communist: The Revolutionary Life of Friedrich Engels (Penguin Books, 2009)
- 'Introduction', to Friedrich Engels's The Condition of the Working Class in England (Penguin Classics, 2009)
- Building Jerusalem: The Rise and Fall of the Victorian City, (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2004; 2005)
- ‘Introduction’ Robert Tressell, The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Penguin Classics, 2004)
Membership of professional associations or societies
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society
Appearances in the media
The following lists my major programmes and series:
- In Our Time BBC Radio 4 (2012)
- Ideas: the British Version 2nd series BBC Radio 3 (2011)
- Ideas: the British Version BBC Radio 3 (2009)
- Britain in Their Sites BBC Radio 4 (2009)
- The Counterfeiters Tale BBC Radio 4 (2009)
- The Joy of Motoring BBC4 (2009)
- The Protestant Revolution BBC4 (2007)
- Parkmasters BBC Radio 4 (2007)
- Elgar and Empire BBC Radio 3 (2007)
- British Middle Class Channel 4 (2005)
- Past Presence BBC Radio 4 (2004)
- Great Britons BBC2 (2002)
- Civil War BBC2 (2001)