Barber Beaumont Professor of the Humanities
Location ArtsTwo 3.12
I have broad interests in modern intellectual history, and have also published on a number of philosophical themes, including the nature of interpretation and historical explanation, and on several issues in contemporary political theory, including the concept of political liberty and the character of the State.
My historical research centres on early-modern Europe, and one of my principal interests lies in the Italian Renaissance. I have published books on Machiavelli, on early Renaissance political painting, on ideals of civic virtue, and I have edited Machiavelli’s The Prince. The other main focus of my research is on seventeenth century England. I have written extensively on the relations between rhetoric and philosophy, and my most recent book is on Shakespeare and forensic eloquence. I have also published three books on the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes. My best-known work, The Foundations of Modern Political Thought, attempts to span the whole early-modern period.
- Philosophical interests: speech-act theory; the nature of interpretation and historical explanation
- Political-theoretical interests: the concept of representation; theories of political liberty; the character of the State.
- Historical interests. European intellectual history of the early-modern period. Special interests: classical rhetoric in the Renaissance; the political theories of Machiavelli, Hobbes and others.
Current PhD Students
I welcome applications from candidates interested in doctoral research in any of the philosophical, historical or political-theoretical areas I mention above.
Recent PhD pupils have worked on such topics as selfhood, Renaissance melancholy, political interests, freedom and property, Renaissance political counselling, English national character, the history of early-modern republicanism, colonisation and empire and the philosophies of Hobbes and Locke.
1. The Foundations of Modern Political Thought: Volume I: The Renaissance xxiv + 305pp., Cambridge University Press, 1978. Translated into Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Greek, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish,Turkish
2. The Foundations of Modern Political Thought: Volume II: The Age of Reformation vi + 405pp., Cambridge University Press, 1978. Translated into Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish. Turkish translation forthcoming.
3(a) Machiavelli vii + 102pp., Oxford University Press, 1981.
3 (b) Machiavelli: A Very Short Introduction [A revised version of 3 (a)] x + 110pp., Oxford University Press, 2000.Translated into Albanian, Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Malay, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish.
4. Reason and Rhetoric in the Philosophy of Hobbes xvi + 477pp., Cambridge University Press, 1996 Translated into Chinese, Italian, Portuguese.
5. Liberty before Liberalism xiv + 142pp., Cambridge University Press, 1998. Translated into Chinese, Farsi, French, Greek, Italian, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.
6. [with Yves-Charles Zarka], Hobbes: The Amsterdam Debate , ed. Hans Blom 87pp., George Olms, Hildesheim, 2001.
7. Visions of Politics: Volume I: Regarding Method xvi + 209pp., Cambridge University Press, 2002. Translated into Chinese, Farsi, French, Italian, Korean, Polish Portuguese and Spanish translations forthcoming
8.Visions of Politics: Volume II: Renaissance Virtues xix + 461pp. (with 12 colour plates), Cambridge University Press, 2002. Translated into Italian; Chinese and French translations forthcoming
9. Visions of Politics: Volume III: Hobbes and Civil Science xvii + 386pp., Cambridge University Press. Chinese and French translations forthcoming.
10. L’artiste en philosophie politique 187pp. (with 8 colour plates), Editions de Seuil, Paris [Raisons d’agir Éditions], 2003.
11.Hobbes and Republican Liberty xxiii+245pp. (with 19 illustrations), Cambridge University Press, 2008. Translated into Chinese, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish. Japanese and Romanian translations forthcoming.
12.. Uma Genealogia do Estado Moderno 62pp., Imprensa de Ciências Sociais, Lisbon, 2011.
13.. Die drei Körper des Staates 112pp., Wallstein, Göttingen, 2012.
14. La verité et l’historien , ed. Christopher Hamel 67pp., Editions EHESS, Paris, 2011.
15. Forensic Shakespeare , xii+356pp., Oxford University Press, 2014.
1. (Co-editor and contributor), Philosophy, Politics and Society: Fourth Series Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1972.
2. (Co-editor and contributor), Philosophy in History Cambridge University Press, 1984. Translated into Spanish.
3. (Editor and contributor), The Return of Grand Theory in the Human Sciences Cambridge University Press, 1985. Translated into Greek, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish.
4. (Co-editor and contributor), The Cambridge History of Renaissance Philosophy Cambridge University Press, 1988.
5. (Co-editor), Machiavelli, The Prince (trans. Russell Price) Cambridge University Press, 1988.
6. (Co-editor and contributor), Machiavelli and Republicanism Cambridge University Press, 1990. Translated into Chinese.
7. (Co-editor and contributor), Political Discourse in Early-modern Britain Cambridge University Press, 1993 Translated into Chinese.
8. (Co-editor) Milton and Republicanism Cambridge University Press, 1995.
9. (Co-editor and contributor), Republicanism: A Shared European Heritage Volume I: Republicanism and Constitutionalism in Early Modern Europe Cambridge University Press, 2002.
10. (Co-editor and contributor), Republicanism: A Shared European Heritage Volume II: The Values of Republicanism in Early Modern Europe Cambridge University Press, 2002.
11. (Co-editor and contributor), States and Citizens: History, Theory, Prospects Cambridge University Press, 2003. Translated into Chinese.
12. (Co-editor), Thomas Hobbes: Writings on Common Law and Hereditary Right Edited by Alan Cromartie and Quentin Skinner (The Clarendon Edition of the Works of Thomas Hobbes, Volume XI) The Clarendon Press, Oxford, 2005.
13. (Co-editor and contributor) Sovereignty in Fragments: The Past, Present and Future of a Contested Concept Cambridge University Press, 2010.
14. (Editor) Families and States in Western Europe Cambridge University Press 2011
15. (Co-editor and contributor) Freedom and the Construction of Europe 2 volumes, Cambridge University Press, March 2013.
- MA History of Political Thought Early Modern theories of the state
- The Bielefelder Wissenschaftspreis, 2008
- The David Easton Award, of the American Political Science Association , 2007
- The Balzan Prize , 2006
- The Sir Isaiah Berlin Prize of the British Political Studies Association, 2006
- The Lippincott Award of the American Political Science Association , 2001
- The Wolfson History Prize (link is external), 1979
- University of Copenhagen, 2014
- University of Oslo, 2011
- Universidad Adolfo Ibáňez, Santiago, 2009
- University of Aberdeen, 2007
- University of Athens, 2007
- University of St Andrews, 2005
- Harvard University, 2005
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2004
- University of Oxford, 2000
- University of Helsinki, 1997
- University of East Anglia, 1992
- University of Chicago, 1992
Membership of professional associations or societies
- Foreign Member, Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, 2015
- Corresponding Fellow, Österreichische Academie der Wissenschaften, 2009
- Foreign Member, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, 2007
- Honorary Member, Royal Irish Academy, 1999
- Foreign Member, American Philosophical Society, 1997
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, 1996
- Fellow of the Academia Europea, 1989
- Foreign Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1986
- Fellow of the British Academy, 1981
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, 1971
- Member of Editorial Board of the Clarendon Edition of the Complete Works of Thomas Hobbes
Member of the Editorial Board of
- Actes de la recherche en sciences socials
- British Journal for the History of Philosophy
- Contemporary Political Theory
- Common Knowledge
- Contributions to the History of Concepts
- The European Review
- Filosofia politica
- Global Constitutionalism
- The Journal of the History of Ideas
- The Journal of the Philosophy of History
- The Journal of Political Ideologies
- The Journal of Political Philosophy
- Political Theory
- Raison publique
- Revue de sciences humaines
- Rivista di filosofia
- Storia e Politica
- Storia del pensiero politico
- Zeitschrift fur Ideengeschichte